We aim to teach science to our learners through a creative, nurturing approach with the goal of developing curious, engaged young people.
Science is based on the 2014 Curriculum for Key Stages 1 and 2, which is divided into 6 ‘topics’ to align with our thematic curriculum where possible, to provide useful cross curricular experiences to our learners.
All our full time pupils receive a weekly science lesson and in addition to this, there will be a whole school Science afternoon every half term, linked to National Awareness weeks in the school calendar, for example, World Space Week and National Science Week. Dual registered pupils participate with whole school sessions coinciding with their attendance (Mon-Wed).
Whole School Science Afternoons
Healthy Eating Week
Road Safety Week
National Tree Week
We also love to make use of our outdoor space within Science lessons and for seasonal growing. The ‘Grow Your Own Potatoes’ project is one of our favourites!
Effective Science at The Beacon will:
- teach an understanding of natural phenomena
- stimulate a child’s curiosity in finding out why things happen in the way they do
- teach methods of enquiry and investigation to stimulate creative thought
- inspire children to ask scientific questions
- allow children to begin to appreciate the way science will affect their future on a personal, national, and global level